Food waste occurs from parts of food that we deem to be waste, but in some cases, we can do something with those off-casts. Below is a list of food items I see others commonly throwing in the composter, but that I as a home chef have found other ways to use.
Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower Stems Recipe
- Chop stems into disks.
- Mix in some olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper with the disks.
- Bake disks in the oven at 450˚F for 30 minutes or until crispy brown (this time could change depending on how big your disks are).
Fried Potato Skin Recipes
- Heat canola oil in a skillet about 1cm deep.
- Pat dry potato skins with a towel.
- Fry potato skins on oil until crispy and brown.
- Scoop out potato skins with a draining spoon and put onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Avocado Appetizers In Skins
- Ensure you have cut the avocado into two symmetrical halves, keeping the flesh as intact as possible.
- Dice the flesh.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil and pan-fry the diced avocado with some salt and pepper.
- When crispy and golden brown, put the fried avocado into the skins for a fancy presentation, and garnish with salsa to-taste. Serve with spoons.
- I also like to use the avocado skins for individual guacamole.
Fruit Pulp Crackers
This is a recipe I found on OneGreenPlanet, but always works!
- Mix all of the ingredients below in a food processor, and thinly spread the mixture on a baking sheet:
• 2 cups juice pulp
• 1 tablespoon chia seeds
• 1/2 cup flaxseeds
• 3 tablespoons tamari
• Dash of turmeric
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• Black pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup water, or a bit more to allow contents to mix in the processor
- Bake at 320˚F for 40-50 minutes and flip halfway through.
Flavoured Banana Peels
This recipe one I found on a youtube video. When I make it, I omit the cumin seeds and coriander powder because I find them overpowering.
- Dice one or two banana peels on a cutting board.
- Heat about two tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Add in some fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds.
- Mix in the banana peels and add chilli powder, salt, coriander powder, and lemon juice.
- Continue cooking until the peels are reasonably golden brown and serve